Thank You Card Etiquette
Thank you card etiquette is snap.
Follow these simple guidelines and use the free thank you note examples on this site to make writing your thank you cards for gifts, parties, birthdays, baby shower, weddings, funerals, business, and graduations are easy.
Find free, ready-to-copy
thank you notes
on this site, too.
What occasions call for a thank you note or card?
• Wedding and bridal shower gifts.
• Baby shower gifts.
• Gifts or flowers where the giver was not present when the gift was opened.
• To the host or hostess who threw a dinner or party in your honor.
• Gifts given when you are in the hospital (even if you opened in front of giver).
• You are an overnight guest at someone's home.
• Congratulation and graduation gifts.
• Job Interviews
• Funeral thank yous
Other great times to send a thank you card, but are not required thank you note etiquette:
• After being a guest at a dinner party.
• For birthday gifts that were received and opened in person, and you already thanked the giver personally.
• When a friend has helped you out with a special favor such as babysitting, a meal when you were sick, running errands for you when you are incapable.
• To the sales representative who has entertained you personally as part of a business relationship.
How long do you have to send your thank you card?
It's never too late to say thank you, but there are guidelines in etiquette for different occasions. Naturally, you can never send a thank you too soon as well. :)For job interview
- Same day of interview or very next dayWeddings
- Although many people think there is a year to send out wedding thank yous, I agree with Emily post and say that ideally send them out within three months of receipt of the gift.Other gifts
not opened in front of the giver (provide the party is under 50 guests) - One month Gifts given at party of over 50 guests, three monthsThank you for overnight stay at one's home
- two weeks from return home.Thank you for favor
- One to two weeks is ideal.Get well thank you
- Three months after fully recovered.Funeral and sympathy thank yous
- Ideally within three months, however, MODERN etiquette considers says that you do NOT need to send thank yous at all if you are too overwhelmed.
Next find the personal
thank you letter samples
Exit Thank You Card Etiquette and Go to Thank You Notes Home